Chocolate cake is a classic dessert that is enjoyed by people of all ages. It’s rich, indulgent flavor and moist, fluffy texture make it the perfect treat for any occasion. Here’s how to prepare a simple and delicious chocolate cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the hot water, mixing until the batter is smooth. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake the cakes for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
To serve the chocolate cake, dress it up with frosting, whipped cream, or other toppings. A simple chocolate buttercream frosting is easy to prepare and pairs well with the rich chocolate flavor of the cake. Simply cream together 1/2 cup unsalted butter and 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, then add 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 2-3 tablespoons milk. Beat the mixture until smooth and spread it over the top and sides of the cooled cake.
Whether chocolate cake is healthy or not, it really depends on how it is prepared and consumed. Chocolate cake made with whole grain flour and unsweetened cocoa powder can be a more nutritious option than cakes made with refined flour and lots of added sugar. However, like any dessert, chocolate cake should be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. It is high in calories and sugar, and consuming too much of it can contribute to weight gain and other health issues. So, while a slice of chocolate cake can be a delicious treat, it’s important to enjoy it as part of a healthy and varied diet.
by Sara Liamson