Apricot jam is a delicious and versatile spread that can be used in a variety of ways, such as on toast, in baked goods, or as a topping for ice cream or yogurt. Making your own apricot jam at home is a fun and rewarding process that allows you to control the ingredients and sweetness level.
Here’s what you’ll need to make homemade apricot jam:
- 4 cups apricots, pitted and quartered
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine the apricots, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer the jam for about 20-25 minutes, or until it has thickened and the apricots are soft and mash easily with a fork.
- If using, stir in the almond extract.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the jam cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer the jam to a sterilized jar or container, making sure to leave about 1/4 inch of headspace at the top. Seal the jar or container with a lid and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once the jam has cooled, store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Making homemade apricot jam is a simple and rewarding process that allows you to enjoy a delicious and versatile spread all year round. Give it a try and see for yourself!