Italian tortellini soup is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for a cold winter day. It’s a simple soup that is packed with cheese tortellini, vegetables, and a rich broth, and it is sure to become a family favorite. Here’s how to make it:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 9 ounces of cheese tortellini
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery to the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer the soup for 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cheese tortellini and frozen peas to the pot and simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the tortellini are cooked through.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and serve the soup hot, with grated Parmesan cheese on the side for sprinkling over the top.
Italian tortellini soup is a delicious and satisfying meal that is perfect for a cold winter day. It’s a great way to use up any leftover vegetables that you may have on hand and can be customized with your favorite herbs and spices.
Nutrition facts (per serving, based on 6 servings):
- Calories: 273
- Protein: 15 grams
- Total fat: 10 grams
- Saturated fat: 3 grams
- Cholesterol: 33 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 35 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Sodium: 891 milligrams
Give this recipe a try and enjoy!
by Sara Liamson